I am always looking for healthy recipes for peppers. I absolutely LOVE this Healthy Stuffed Bell Pepper recipe and each half is only 150 calories! Lean ground turkey makes a moist, low-fat substitute for the ground beef that’s usually found in stuffed pepper filling. To add a nutty flavor and boost the nutrition even further, we call for cooked brown rice. This recipe is easy to make and can be made a variety of ways. It’s the perfect mix-and-match recipe.
Healthy Stuffed Bell Pepper Recipe
- Olive Oil
- 1/2 lb lean ground turkey breast (optional- if want vegan, omit)
- 1 cup chopped onions
- 1 heaping tbsp of taco seasoning
- 2 cups of cooked brown rice
- 3-4 organic bell peppers, halved and seeds removed
- 1 can of black beans, drained & rinsed
- ½ cup of organic frozen corn
- 1 (15 -16 ounce) jar of salsa
- Shredded Cheddar Cheese
- Optional toppings: fresh cilantro, sour cream and sliced avocado
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Lightly coat the peppers with olive oil and roast in a baking dish about 15-20 minutes just until cooked thru. Remove the peppers from the oven and allow to cool until you can handle them. *Note – make sure you cook your turkey ahead of time that way you do not have to worry about it later. Also, I sautéed the onions until cooked through. Then I then added in my cooked rice, black beans and corn.
- In a bowl add the taco seasoning, cooked ground turkey, chopped onions, black beans, corn and rice. Add in the jar of salsa and mix well.
- Carefully spoon the turkey mixture into each half of the bell peppers and place back into the baking dish. Cook the peppers for another 15-20 minutes or until the peppers are cooked all the way through. Before removing from the oven sprinkle the tops of each pepper with shredded cheddar cheese. Place back into the oven just until the cheese has melted.
- Remove from the oven and top with fresh cilantro, avocado slices and/or sour cream just before serving.