This hearty vegetarian paella is made with brown rice and loaded with vegetables and Mediterranean flavor.
Total Time: 1 hr. 22 min.
Prep Time: 15 min.
Cooking Time: 1 hr. 7 min.
Yield: 3 servings
1 cup dry brown rice
2 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
1 pinch saffron
1 Tbsp. olive oil
4 medium shallots, chopped
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 medium red bell pepper, chopped
1 medium green bell pepper, chopped
1 cup small whole mushrooms
½ cup cubed eggplant
10 medium black olives
10 medium green olives
¼ tsp. sea salt
Ground black pepper (to taste; optional)
½ tsp. ground cumin
1 lb. medium tomatoes, chopped
½ fresh or frozen green peas
1. Heat rice, broth, and saffron in medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to maintain a gentle boil; cook, covered, for 45 to 50 minutes. Keep covered the entire time or rice will not cook evenly.
2. While rice is cooking, heat oil in a large ovenproof saucepan over medium-high heat. Add shallots, garlic, bell peppers, mushrooms, and eggplant; cook, stirring frequently, for 5 to 6 minutes or until bell peppers are tender.
3. Add olives, salt, pepper (if desired), and cumin; cook for 1 minute.
4. Preheat oven to 400° F.
5. Add rice, tomatoes, and peas to bell pepper mixture; mix well.
6. Bake for 10 minutes or until heated through.