Alright y’all! Its that time of year! Football season is here and with that our family is ready for some fun tailgating food!! My husband Brett has got the grill out and ready to put things over the fire!! haha
As much as my husband and kiddos love their beef burgers, I am always looking for a healthier option that still has amazing flavor. Also, its just fun to change things up every so often. One day I stumbled upon this Mediterranean Turkey Burger recipe and I now I’m hooked! The turkey is a healthy substitute for the normal beef but is still so yummy! Our family can be healthy and still eat GOOD!
This recipe is for a mediterranean flavor but feel free to add or play around with different seasonings to what you like. 🙂 Something as simple as adding avocado or black beans to the patty with change things up a bit!
Mediterranean Turkey Burgers
Total Time: 30 min.
Prep Time: 20 min.
Cooking Time: 10 min.
Yield: 6 servings
¾ cup reduced-fat (2%) Greek yogurt
2 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped, divided use
¼ tsp. dried dill weed
1½ lbs. 93% lean ground turkey
1 medium red onion, thinly slice half, finely chop half, divided use
¼ cup finely chopped sun-dried tomatoes
2 oz. frozen spinach, thawed, squeeze out liquid using a kitchen towel, chopped
6 Tbsp. crumbled feta cheese
1 tsp. dried oregano
½ cup whole grain bread crumbs
1 large egg
Sea salt and ground black pepper (to taste; optional)
1 cooked medium beet, sliced thin
¼ medium cucumber, sliced thin
1. To make yogurt sauce, combine yogurt, lemon juice, 1 clove garlic, and dill in a small bowl; mix well. Refrigerate, covered, until needed.
2. Preheat grill or broiler to high.
3. Combine turkey, chopped onion, sun-dried tomatoes, spinach, cheese, remaining 1 clove garlic, oregano, bread crumbs, and egg in a medium bowl. Season with salt and pepper if desired; mix well with clean hands. Form turkey mixture evenly into six patties.
4. Grill or broil patties for about 5 minutes on each side, or until no longer pink in the middle.
5. Serve patties topped evenly with yogurt sauce, onion slices, beet, and cucumber.