5 Foods Tips for Summer – Summer is here and I’m sure you will soon be enjoying summer BBQ’s, outdoor for vacations, or good old fashioned fun in the sun. If you plan it right, you’ll have one crazy adventure after the other! Here are 5 food tips for summer to help you enjoy every minute of it!
Just remember all that fun in the sun can wear on you – and your little tikes. Not only is it important to stay hydrated, but eating healthy rather than going for the quick and simple junk food can keep you in the game throughout the summer. All it takes is a little planning.
Here are 5 Food Tips for Summer you should pay attention to.
- Load up on hydrating foods – When people think of staying hydrated, they immediately think water, water, water. And they are 100 percent correct on that. But … did you know you can EAT your water too? Foods are brimming with water and endless health benefits in a time of the year when local markets are at their best. At the top of the list of hydrating foods and my number one food tip for summer is:
- Apple sauce
Shape Magazine has a Top 30 list of hydrating foods (http://www.shape.com/healthy-eating/healthy-drinks/top-30-hydrating-foods).
If we are planning an all day outing, one thing I do is pack up our healthy foods the night before, bring a cooler with us when we are on the go and away from the house for extended periods of time. It’s a lifesaver! This way we will always have healthy foods and drinks to eat and drink on the go. Your cooler is your best friend. So dust it off, clean it out and pack er up!
A few other food tips for summer are:
- Don’t skip breakfast – You should be adhering to this all year long, but especially in the summer when your activity level is perhaps at an all-time high. It’s long been said that breakfast is the most important meal of the day because it kickstarts your metabolism and helps you burn calories throughout the day.
Not to mention endless energy.
According to WebMD, many studies link eating breakfast to good health, including better memory, concentration, muscle function, lower levels of cholesterol and lower chances of getting diabetes, heart disease, and being overweight.
- Keep unnecessary treats to a minimum – This goes for the heavy junk food you get from what seem like easy and quick trips to Sonic or McDonalds. Heavy, greasy meals such as these only increase the potential for dehydration. And they make you sleepy and slow you down – waaaaaay down. I’m not a total stickler; I realize it’s summer time and treats like this are bound to pop up. Just try not to make them the focus of your eating routine throughout the summer. This tip for summer will save you unwanted pounds too.
- Protein – Getting ample protein into your diet isn’t just for the avid workout enthusiast. The body relies on protein for muscle health and immune function. Spread it out throughout the day with tasty treats like healthy smoothies, eggs for breakfast, steaks, salads, fish, and chicken. Or if you are like me and prefer a meat free diet, my favorite protein and energy packed meal is a quinoa salad.
Here’s an article on portable protein snacks (http://greatist.com/health/high-protein-snacks-portable).
- Water, water, water – Ha! The number ONE way to stay hydrated and my number 5 tips for summer is to gulp up plenty of H2O! You knew this one would be on here. I mentioned hydrating foods earlier, but even when you don’t have those delicious foods readily available, you should be drinking water. Studies suggest we should be drinking at least eight glasses of water a day – perhaps even more.
5 Foods Tips for Summer – The rule of thumb I recommend to my clients & my personal goal as well, is aim to drink 3 liters of water per day… the first liter before noon, second liter before 5 pm then the third by bedtime. It may take a little getting used to, but your body will function better, you will speep better, your skin and complexion will glow and so much more!
Keep bottled water handy in the car because we all spend way too much time in the car these days, might as well drink up and stay hydrated. Then keep more on hand while you are out there – even in a cooler. Get creative with natural flavored water or detox water to have variety in your water. Check this out:
What are your favorite healthy ways to prepare for summer vacation? Comment below. 5 Foods Tips for Summer