Holiday Weight Loss Hacks – It’s the holidays … that wonderful time of the year when delicious goodies and extra calories are lurking around every corner. It’s so easy to take a break from all that hard work you put in over the previous 11 months when you are surrounded by frosted cookies at the office, eggnog at your neighbor’s house, jelly doughnuts for Hanukkah or chocolates in your stocking.
All these “extras” add up, though. And if you’re like most Americans, you’ll put on a pound or two by New Year’s Day. I’m ready to help you avoid holiday weight gain!
For this installment of Karma knows best, I’ve pooled together several of my favorite holiday blogs of the past (call this a stocking stuffer of blog goodness) to not only open your eyes to some of the bad stuff on the table, but also give you some healthy alternatives. I like to call them WEIGHT LOSS HACKS!
The theme is clear … it is possible to enjoy holiday goodies without putting on a single pound!
What’s the harm in a little holiday weight gain?
A lot! According to researchers at the National Institutes of Health, most Americans never lose the weight they gain during the winter holidays. The pounds add up year after year, making holiday weight gain an important factor in adult obesity. No need for a full weight loss plan, apply my tips and tricks to learn a few Weight Loss Hacks for now. Of course, I would LOVE to be your go to girl and help you with a full weight loss plan when the time is right!
Checkout the 10 Worst Holiday Foods that will sabotage your holidays.
Instead of gobbling down a handful of pigs in a blanket, try these Holiday Weight Loss Hacks.
- Eat your own healthy meal in advance so you will not be tempted.
- Stick with whole foods like fresh fruits, veggie trays or lean meats and avoid anything fried.
- Pop mint gum or mints in your mouth to help you avoid plunging into the cheese and sausage tower.
- Trick yourself with smaller plates. Your eyes can be fooled by loading up a salad plate
- Order dressing and sauces on the side. Here is something that sound crazy, skip the dressing all together! Instead squeeze fresh lemon or lime wedges for tasty zing, with zero calories!
- What’s in your fridge? Checkout ways to keep your fridge a healthy place HERE in my Periscope recording.
- Try intermittent fasting. Some have found by fasting 1-2 days, you can increase body strength, reduce cravings and bloating. If this seems too difficult, try a 3 day Refresh.
- Drink more water. Water is the best thing we can put in our body and it’s great for weight loss. Drinking water before a meal can reduce hunger. Jazz up your water with lemon for even more health benefits.
- Be mindful of WHEN you eat. Notice times of day you begin to get hungry and have a healthy snack on hand before you over indulge in whatever is around. Look at your food carefully and slow down to enjoy every bite. Mindful eating can help you save wasted calories and make better choices.
- With these tricks, you might actually eat less and eat better without really noticing.
And don’t forget about those holiday drinks, ya’ll! Most aren’t even remotely healthy. I found some great recipes over the years for some of my holiday favorites, but I trimmed back the calories and sugars so you can enjoy your favorite holiday flavors without feeling guilty.
And last but not least, stay active people!!!!!!
In addition to eating and drinking too much, the chaos of the holiday season means you might not always have time to work out. Here tons of quick, 5 minute workouts. It is full of all sorts of tips, videos and pictures.
Stay healthy, my friends.
Photo by: m01229