Be happy in your own skin – We talk all the time about leading a healthy and fit lifestyle, setting realistic goals, and believing there is a better YOU out there. Something that goes hand in hand with all of that, is learning how to be happy in your own skin.
Being happy in your own skin means finding satisfaction in where you are as a person. That can mean anything from how you look and feel about your appearance – even if there are things you want to work on – your season in life, how you are with your family, and your relationship with God.
Being happy in your own skin also reflects your ability to cope with whatever challenges life has for you, and how long it may take to reach your ultimate goal.
But too often, we – and when I say we, I mean us busy moms out there – struggle with being happy in our own skin. Our society places a ton of emphasis on appearance and what beauty is suppose to look like, and a pitfall of that is when we compare ourselves to others. How many times have you been worried about what you are going to look like at the beach in that bikini? Or what you look like when you workout? Maybe you pay too much attention to the super models or movie stars?
Stop comparing yourself to others! Be happy – and recognize that it’s OK to be a work in progress.
When I find myself falling into this trap, I’m often reminded of this passage from one of my daily devotional books:
Look Up and Sing
When you are tempted to look down in despair, may you instead look up and declare, “My God is for me, who can stand against me?”
When you are tempted to whine and grumble, may you instead dance and sing.
When you are tempted to gossip or be petty, may you instead pray and intercede.
God wants to bless the world through you!
Look up today and rejoice. All of heaven is on your side.
That pretty much sums everything up for me. I have that page bookmarked and I keep it with me wherever I go just to remind myself that the temptation to fall into a pit of despair will never be as strong as my own will power to overcome and rejoice in who I am as one of God’s precious treasures.
I am a loving wife, a proud mom of three beautiful children, and no matter what struggles I have faced in the past, the point is, they are in the past. I will be confident in myself, no matter what the future holds.
Look, I wish I could say all the transformational stories I’ve shared about myself, my clients, and other fellow coaches on my team will happen overnight. But they don’t. If it were that easy, everyone would do it. But in the meantime, you must face down the mental barriers that keep you from accepting who you are – and be happy in your own skin.
Here are 5 tips to be happy in your own skin:
- Use your intelligence – Being happy in your own skin may be easier said than done, but it’s not rocket science, either. Surround yourself with positive people and eliminate the ones who aren’t. Model your life on a can-do platform, accept criticism for what it is and maintain a flow of good energy.
- Only worry about that which can be controlled – We hear this all the time, so don’t sweat the small things that went wrong today. Who cares what anyone else thinks. I love this saying; “When God’s blessing, the Devil is messing.” Don’t cave into the devils evil to steal you of your joy!
- Live passionately – Dive deep into your relationships … whether they are with your spouse, children, parents, and co-workers. And don’t forget about God. Live passionately for all of them, surround yourself with that positive energy and adore who you are.
- Stay active – Working out boosts endorphins, your mood, increases your mental focus, and gives you an energy boost. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve felt better about myself – and my day – simply by getting a quick workout in. Even if that workout is a simple walk or jog around the neighborhood. I challenge you, the next time you are down on yourself, stand up and jump around… laughing, jumping, being silly is the BEST way to be happy in your own skin!
- Drop the excuses – Pretty self explanatory. The only thing in your life that you should never make time for are excuses. All they do is get in the way of your happiness. There’s no time like the present.
Don’t miss the conversation and AMAZING story I shared about positive affirmations over on my Karma Nelson Fitness page: Fill in the blank on what you tell yourself: I am _____.
Thanks for reading!