Healthy taco lettuce wraps are one of the easiest meals I make my family! We typically have “Taco Tuesday” every Tuesday. It takes the guess work out and this meal can be prepared and frozen in advanced to really save time! This quick recipe is simple and is a healthy kids food too. So, there are no excuses for “I don’t have time for healthy eating.” TIP: double or triple the recipe then divide and freeze for next week.
1.3lbs 99% lean ground turkey
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon paprika
½ teaspoon oregano
½ small onion (minced)
2 tablespoons green bell pepper (minced)
¾ cup water
1 (4 ounce) can tomato sauce
8 large lettuce leaves from romaine lettuce (or iceberg lettuce)
OR if you are LOW on time, I use 2-3 Tbsp Mrs. Dash Chipotle seasoning instead.
- In a small bowl combine garlic powder, cumin, salt, chili powder, paprika and oregano. Mix well and set aside.
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, brown the ground turkey. When the turkey is no longer pink add the seasoning mixture and mix well. Add onion, bell pepper, water, and tomato sauce. Cover and simmer on low for about 20 minutes.
- Rinse the lettuce leaves with cold water and allow them to dry. Place some of the meat mixture in the center of the leaf and top with tomatoes, cheese, sour cream, salsa or whatever you prefer.
Healthy Taco Lettuce Wraps are a perfect “Taco Bar” option for family gatherings. Simply place all the toppings in separate bowls and allow guests to create endless taco combinations.
VEGETARIAN OPTION: Want an even HEALTHIER TACO? Try a vegetarian taco lettuce wrap. Sometimes I like to have Meatless Monday’s in our home and a vegetarian taco lettuce wrap is a quick recipe. There are so many options. Instead of taco meat, consider replacing it with chopped carrots, zucchini, squash and eggplant for a “meaty” feel. Season just the same as above. Layer in lettuce wrap and top with salsa, tomatoes & avocado. Try on eof my favorite vegetarian black bean taco below.
BLACK BEAN LETTUCE WRAP TACOS WITH MANGO AVOCADO SALSA
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 onion, finely diced (yellow or red)
- 14 oz can black beans, drained and rinsed (or about 1 1/2 cups cooked)
- 6 leaves bibb or iceberg lettuce
- 1/2 Tbsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp oregano
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/4 tsp cornstarch
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 mango, peeled and diced
- 1 avocado, peeled and diced
- 1/2 cucumber, peeled and diced
- 1/2 jalapeno, seeds removed and minced
- 1/4 red onion, diced
- 1 Tbsp lime juice
- 1/3 cup chopped cilantro leaves
- salt and pepper to taste
- First prepare the salsa. Combine all ingredients in a bowl and mix well. Add salt and pepper to taste. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine all taco seasoning ingredients. The tacos come together quickly, so I like to do this before anything goes on the stove.
- Add olive oil to a large pan over medium heat. Once shimmering, add garlic and onion and saute until soft, 4-5 minutes.
- Pour in black beans and taco seasoning and stir to coat. Saute, stirring occasionally, until beans are heated through and some of the water is evaporated, 2-3 minutes.
- Serve with lettuce leaves to be used as taco shells and mango avocado salsa.
[button link=”http://karmanelsonfitness.com/category/eat/” color=”lightblue”] Checkout more Healthy Recipes and Nutrition Tips[/button]