May is a perfect time to think about spring flowers, summer vacations and fun and easy healthy meals! I could eat Mexican food every night of the week, so I have lightened things up with healthy recipes!
- 3 Avocados
- 1 Small Onion (minced)
- 1 Clove Garlic (Or minced from a jar)
- 1 Tbsp. Fresh Lime Juice
- 1 Tbsp chopped cilantro
- 1/8 tea sea salt
- 1/2 Tbsp jalapeno (optional)
- 2 Tbsp chopped tomatoes (optional)
- Cut open avocados and scoop them out. Discard skin and pits. Use a fork or mixer to blend the avocados until smooth.
- Next, add remaining ingredients. Serve immediately with natural low-fat corn tortillas chips to keep the calorie count down or even fresh veggie stick. Enjoy! Remember Avacados are the Healthy Fat that gives you natural energy!
- 1 15-ounce can black beans, rinsed
- 1/2 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese, preferably pepper Jack
- 1/2 cup prepared fresh salsa (or store bought), divided
- 4 8-inch whole-wheat tortillas
- 2 teaspoons canola oil, divided
- 1 ripe avocado, diced
- Combine beans, cheese and 1/4 cup salsa in a medium bowl. Place tortillas on a work surface. Spread 1/2 cup filling on half of each tortilla. Fold tortillas in half, pressing gently to flatten.
- Heat 1 teaspoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add 2 quesadillas and cook, turning once, until golden on both sides, 2 to 4 minutes total. Transfer to a cutting board and tent with foil to keep warm. Repeat with the remaining 1 teaspoon oil and quesadillas.
- We like them with black beans, but pinto beans work well too- Beans are the undervalued superfood.
- If you like a little heat, be sure to use pepper Jack cheese in the filling.
- Serve with: Serve the quesadillas with avocado and the remaining salsa and a side salad. See homemade garlic dressing. These satisfying quesadillas take just 15 minutes to make.
- 1 scoop Tropical Strawberry Shakeology
- 1 Tbsp fresh lime juice
- 2 Tbsp minced fresh mint leaves
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup oce
Place all ingredients in blender and whirl together. For a creamier shake, use 4 oz almond milk and 4 oz water or all 8 oz almond milk and add more ice.