Breakfast for Champs! (Who also like to stay FIT)
Who can’t resist a delicious low calorie breakfast meal? Whether you are staying fit or trying to lose weight, 400 is the magic number of calories for an energizing morning! Here are a few of my favorite light, but tasty meals to start the day off right. If you are looking to lose weight and get in shape stick with these healthy options!
Oatmeal Buttermilk and Berry Pancakes (My Favorite!)
- 1 1/4 cups quick-cooking oats
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup low-fat buttermilk
- 1 egg
- 1 egg white
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh lemon peel
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- In a bowl, combine the oats, flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In a separate bowl, combine the buttermilk, egg, egg white, butter, and lemon peel. Pour the buttermilk mixture into the oat mixture, stirring until just moistened. Gently fold in the blueberries with a rubber spatula. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 250ºF. Coat a large nonstick skillet with cooking spray and heat over medium heat. Spoon four 1/4 cupfuls of batter into the skillet and cook until the tops begin to bubble slightly, about 2 1/2 to 3 minutes. Turn the pancakes and cook 2 1/2 to 3 minutes longer, or until golden and cooked through. Transfer to a baking sheet and keep warm in the oven. Repeat with the remaining batter. Divide the maple syrup over the pancakes.
- Keep your serving to 3 pancakes to stay in the 400-calorie range
Total calories: 390
Cheesy Eggs on Toast
- 1 egg and 2 egg whites
- Fill it with spinach, tomatoes, and a sprinkle of shredded mozzarella
- Eat with 2 slices of whole wheat toast (no butter!)
- You can even layer the eggs, veggies and cheese in between the whole wheat toast for a yummy breakfast sandwich.
Total calories: 391
- Spread each half of a toasted whole wheat English muffin with 1 Tbsp peanut butter
- Top each half with 1/4 c sliced banana
- Eat as an open-faced sandwich with a side of 20 blueberries
Total calories: 406
Diet and nutrition is at least 70% of your results! So if you are on a weight loss program, looking to lose weight and get in shape… it all starts in the kitchen! You have heard the saying, “Abs are made in the kitchen!” Well it is 100% true! A healthy breakfast is the start to a healthy day!
See Clean Eating Tips for more ideas on how to eat clean and
be sure to sign up for your FREE CLEAN EATING GUIDE (Top right of this page)
See other quick and healthy Breakfast recipes HERE!